Friday, May 30, 2008

How am I? Did I make it to Japan? Am I still there? How is it?

To be 100% perfectly honest, I have not updated this blog out of sheer embarrassment...

Everyone was so proud of me and was looking forward to all the good stories and everything of me in Japan... Well the truth be told, I haven't left yet... Shortly after I resigned my position at Waubonsee, I received notice that I was going to be delayed a month or so. So I figured, "no big deal, more time to say goodbye to friends and family!" Then they delayed me another month... and before I knew it, Nova Groups of Japan (the largest private sector foreign language company in Japan) was filing for bankruptcy, due to a lawsuit filed against them in Japan...

This can be read about here.

Eggs, basket, lesson learned.

It took me a while to decide if I wanted to keep pursing "the Japan idea" or just move on with my career. I finally came the decision, that I had really been looking forward to Japan, and that I would probably really regret it if I just gave up. I could at least try to get a job with another company, right? As of mid May, I have been hired with a public sector, sister-cities program through Springfield, IL and Ashikaga, Japan. I will be working as a Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in Japanese middle schools in Ashikaga. I leave in late July...

A big THANK YOU to everyone who has been supportive to me!

Joe

2 comments:

Sean said...

I'm glad it's working out that you're still going. Good Luck!

Unknown said...

Jewish Joegramming,

Anders and Milt miss you very much! Please keep up posted on the islands and best of luck! We're all pulling for ya!

Nick